Iran News Round Up February 28, 2013
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by AEI Critical Threats Project Iran Analyst Will Fulton. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
- IRGC Commander MG Mohammad Ali Jafari reiterated that the 2009 sedition was more dangerous than the Iran-Iraq war and affirmed the role of the Supreme Leader in the Islamic Republic:
- "The revolutionary Iranian people are tolerating enemy pressures and this resistance must be continuous."
- "The Eight Year War [Iran-Iraq war] was a blessing because during it the truth of the Islam and the Islamic revolution was introduced and exported to the world and now we must help the Islamic revolution reach its goal in the world more than before and expand on the terrestrial planet."
- "We thank God that the people emerged [victorious] from the  sedition, and the message they sent to the world on the 9th of Day [counter-protest of Islamic Republic supporters in 2010] was a valuable message and [was] acknowledging the right of the velayat-e faghih in the Islamic Republic."
- "The Islamic Republic cannot reach its goals without the role of Supreme Leadership and velayat."
- Representative of the Supreme Leader to the IRGC Hojjat al-Eslam Ali Saidi commented on the 2009 uprisings, causes of economic crisis, and the expansion of the Islamic Republic in Latin America and East Asia:
- "Islamic Iran today bears the banner of Alevi Islam in Latin America and East Asia."
- "Against Alevi Islam, which is pure Muhammadan Islam, there is Saudi and Erdogan Islam and we must introduce the true Islam to the world."
- "America has understood that the center of revolt and crisis against America is Islamic Iran; due to this, it expends all of its capabilities in an effort to break the will of the people, meaning the supporters of true Islam and the Islamic system."
- "Sedition is repeatable because neither the internal current nor Global Arrogance [West] will give up, and in the future sedition, the main pillar of the [West] will enter into the action."
- "Regarding inflation and economic crisis, we admit that mismanagement was a cause but sanctions had the main role; based upon this we are obligated to inform the general public of current conditions."
- Judiciary Chief Ayatollah Sadegh Amoli Larijani said "The West seeks to impose human rights with a liberal view upon all countries although we have no issues with human rights, but human rights have to be based on divinity, values, and reason."
Military and Security
- General Staff Armed Forces Operations Deputy [Artesh] BG Amir Mostafa Salami said that the Artesh naval presence in the Pacific Ocean is a powerful and connective point for Artesh naval strategy:
- "Conducting missions in international and open waters, in addition to bringing valuable experience, will bring confidence [with respect to] our ships' preparedness and power and it is very effective from this aspect."
- "Having a presence in international and open waters and conducting missions at long range distances requires appropriate equipment and full preparedness of all units, and these aspects have been well provided for our forces."
- Fars reports that "terrorists" destroyed a historical Homs market and exploded a car in an Alawite neighborhood in Syria.
Photo of the Day
- Judiciary Chief Ayatollah Sadegh Amoli Larijani visits northern Golestan province to meet with ulama and clergy.