Iran News Round Up March 7, 2013
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by AEI Critical Threats Project Iran Analyst Will Fulton. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
- Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, in a meeting with members of the Expediency Council, said “if the Islamic system had not advanced, enemies would not be angry and confused to this extent” and that Iran has solutions for economic issues caused by sanctions.
- Chief Prosecutor Hojjat al-Eslam Gholamhossein Mohseni-Ejei said another sedition is underway, criticized officials who clashed with each other, and said that the Islamic Republic does not have any concerns in negotiating with the United States:
- “Evidence and the Qur’an indicate that in the beginning months of next year [Persian New Year] a sedition will get underway.”
- “This sedition is different than similar scenarios in the years after the victory of the Islamic revolution and  sedition and the people and Judiciary have to maintain their awareness.”
- “Seditionors will come to the scene with deceiving slogans such as justice, combating corruption, support of the poor, etc., and this is nothing other than discord.”
- “Enemies in the past year have sought to create distance between the people and system by increasing pressures in economic, political and propaganda realms, and tightening the rings of sanctions, but the Iranian nation affirmed its adherence and unity with this movement during the anniversary of the victory of the Islamic revolution.”
- “Some officials have caused the people and Leader of the Faithful [Supreme Leader] to become upset by [publicly fighting].”
- “Western and regional reactionary plots in killing Muslims in Pakistan, Iraq and Syria, and also increasing issues in Afghanistan and Bahrain...are some of Iranian concerns on the international stage.”
- “The West, while simultaneously suggestion negotiations, is about to introduci new sanctions against our country, and such measures stem from their hostility towards us.”
- “The Islamic Republic is not concerned with negotiations with America because it is rational, and by maintaining awareness and its rights makes decision in this field.”
- Speaker of Parliament Ali Larijani said “BBC and the English have aimed to disrupt and destroy the place of velayat-e faghih” and added total defense should be employed in the country’s defense doctrine.
- Expediency Council member Ayatollah Mohammad Taghi Mesbah Yazdi said Iranian nationalism is a Baha’i slogan:
- "Being Iranian must never take the place of being Islamic [because] Iranian [nationalism] is a slogan that the Baha’is used and this is not a source of pride. We have to know that nothing in existence is comparable with Islam and everything can be sacrificed for Islam and everything grows in the rays of Islam.”
Military and Security
- Artesh Navy Commander Admiral Habibollah Sayari said, “Presence in open waters belong to all countries and, God willing, we have decided to be present in the Atlantic Ocean.”
- Deputy Chief of the Armed Forces General Staff MG Gholam Ali Rashidi addressed the "Defense in All Areas" conference:
- "In case of the emergency of a potential future war, all enemy strategic targets will be targeted…and we have to pay special attention to enemy air superiority."
- “Iranian defensive diplomacy has an extensive capacity and we can use this to help [Iran's] foreign policy apparatus."
- "Currently strategic and operational comprehension have greatly advanced but this is not enough and we have to be able to shorten the distance between policy makers and military officials.”
- Deputy IRGC Commander BG Hossein Salami said “hidden soldiers of the revolution have inflicted historical defeats upon the legendary Zionist regime army in Lebanon and Gaza.” Regarding the nuclear program, he said “The P5+1 formula is no longer able to prevent the Iranian nation from taking steps in nuclear technology. We are at the apex of our power today and taking last steps towards victory, and this is the final obstacle.”
- Chief of the Armed Forces General Staff MG Hassan Firouzabadi said, “Iran’s official position is a comprehensive defense of Syria” and denied Iranian military involvement in the country. He also noted that “anything that forms in the country has to be aimed at attacking Global Arrogance [West] because Global Arrogance attacks the foundations of Islamic revolution.”
- Armed Forces General Staff Intelligence & Operations Deputy MG Mohammad Bagheri said, “the enemy has organized full-time bases to threaten Iran militarily and non-militarily” and stressed utilization of total defense to defend the country.
- Defense Minister MG Ahmad Vahidi said that total defense can transform to a national comprehensive management model:
- “Today the discussion of soft and hard warfare show themselves as a serious reality in combat scenarios.”
- “Total defense is safe, inexpensive, and stable; in this defense there are many avenues for innovation. When talents are utilized in total defense innovative fields expand.”
- “Resistance economy is a total defense perspective of economy. Total defense is a key concept and a result of the depth of Islamic values and we can form our work in all arenas with this idea.”
Photo of the Day
- Student Movement offer condolences to the Venezuelan ambassador to Iran following the death of Hugo Chavez.